Do you want a simple step-by-step guideline on how to play Telestrations board game? This game is a fun drawing party board game anyone can enjoy. It doesn’t matter whether you excel or suck at drawing. The idea behind the game is to have fun and enjoy yourself. Remember this game also falls into the category of a children’s board game.
Let us dive in and learn how to play this game.
- 142 “This Side” & “That Side” Cards in Card Box (over 1,700 words),
- 8 Erasable Sketch Books
- 8 Dry-Erase Markers
- 8 Clean-Up Cloths
- 60 Second Timer
- 1 Die
Objective of the Game
The Goal of the game is to enjoy yourself and have fun. Don’t stress yourself in drawing awesome illustrations. Just have fun, enjoy yourself and make memories.
To set up follow this simple process
- Place the card box, timer, and die in the center of the play area.
- Because the sides in the card are double-sided, the groups will have to decide which side they like. It can either be “THAT SIDE” or THIS SIDE”.
- Each and every player will choose one card from their side making sure to keep it a secret from the other players.
- Each player will then take a sketchbook, a marker, and a cleaning cloth.
- After that, players will write their names on the front of the sketchbook.
Get A Word
Before you start the game, decide which player has to start.
The player will start the game by rolling a die.
Depending on the number that appears, you write the word attached to that number in the sketchbook. This is a secret word and should not be shown to any of the other players. Therefore, don’t say it loud for anyone to hear. For example, if you roll four on the die, and the word is Daniel you have to write Daniel in the Sketchbook.
However, if upon rolling, the number is matched with a blank space you get the formulate any word you want.
Also, if you see this guy on the card, ignore the die and pick any word you want from the list.
Number of Players
Now check the number of players you have. Check whether it is an even or odd number. If it is an even number, hold on to your book. If it is an odd number o players, pass your book to the player on your left and you will receive a book from the player on your right.
After the number of players has been decided, it is now time to sketch. If you got to hold on to your own book, it means you already know the secret word. However, if not, and you have another player’s book take a peek at the secret word. Now you’re ready.
Here are the steps to follow.
- Every player will turn to the “SKETCH IT” page.
- The timer is flipped giving sixty seconds to make a drawing of the word.
- The page is not to be left blank.
- When done, you will hide your sketch on the second page and pass it to the player on your left.
This will take us on to the next stage of the game – The Guessing Phase
After each player receives the book from the other players, everyone should be on the guess page.
Each player will take a peek at the sketch page or the previous page only and make a guess. Make sure you don’t look any further than that. Then the page is flipped to the next and given to the player on the left again.
Round And Round It Goes
The cycle of sketching and guessing goes on and on until each player receives their own book back.
The Big Reveal
This is the moment everyone has been waiting for. The phase where you flip through the pages of the sketchbook seeing the respective sketches and guesses. This is fun in its own right.
Are you the Winner?
Having fun is the main goal so everyone is a winner. However, if you are interested in finding one winner, then read on to the scoring section.
This game is fun and awesome right? Let’s play another.
Clean the sketches using the cleaning cloth and return all used cards back to the box. Everyone receives a new card and the fun starts all over again.
If you intend to keep your scores, then after each big reveal players record their scores on the score sheet in front of their book.
The game will go for three rounds and at the end, players will compute the total and the winner is announced.
The scoring is divided into two categories. Each also come with different rules.
In this type of scoring, follow these guidelines
- Award one (1) point to the player with your favorite SKETCH in your book.
- Award one (1) point to the player with your favorite GUESS in your book.
- Award yourself (1) point if the last guess matches your secret word.
As you reveal the outcomes in your own book, everyone can score points:
- Guessers will be awarded one point if their guess is equal to or matches the secret word or the previous guess.
- Sketchers will be awarded a point if their sketch helps another player make a match.
- Award one point to yourself if the last guess matches the secret word.
There are other additional tips in the rule book that will help you make things more fun. There is also a guideline to educate you on how to take good care of your markers and books.
Over To You
Having fun is the main essence of the game so enjoy yourself and play as much as you want. For more fun ideas, check our board game page.
If you don’t own the game yet? Buy it here on Amazon.