Video Editing Quotes
Video Editing is the Art of arranging Short Clips and Movie Scenes to tell a story that people will love to watch learn something and be inspired by.
To be good at video editing takes time, effort, and skill to achieve, here are some famous Video editing Quotes by some of the best video editors and Filmmakers of our time like Steven Speilberg and Quentin Tarantino.
This can also quickly become a side hustle both for men and women. Try it out.
Let these Best Video Editing Quotes inspire you to be your best.
Best Video Editing Quotes
Here are some of the best and relatable video editing quotes that video editors such as yourself will love and add to your collection of inspirational quotes. I know you will love at least two or three of them. Let me know in the comment section.
- “Editing is everything. Cut until you can cut no more.” – Esther Freud
- “I learned directing by editing because I saw all the mistakes I had made.” – Julie Delpy
- “The essence of cinema is editing. It’s the combination of what can be extraordinary images of people during emotional moments, or images in a general sense, put together in a kind of alchemy.”– Francis Ford Coppola
- “You don’t have to be a professional in order to ace at video editing!” – Unknown
- “I love editing. I think I like it more than any other phase of filmmaking. If I wanted to be frivolous, I might say that everything that precedes editing is merely a way of producing film to edit.” – Stanley Kubrick
- “To receive footage that has been shot with editing in mind, is a blessing.” – Thelma Schoonmaker
- “The process of editing is what I enjoy most – putting the pieces together and making sense out of them.” – Christian Marclay
- “The bottom line is that your performance is made in the editing room.”– Brent Sexton
- “The less the camera is able to capture what you’re seeing in a scene, the more editing it needs.”– Tom Anderson
- “I don’t do any research. It’s all about gut. Editing – it’s always about gut.”– Graydon Carter
- “The main thing that I learned from editing is that most people, when they’re making a film, they start too early into the story. They will try to set up the characters, they will try to establish things before the plot actually starts.” – Steven Zaillian
- “Editing is where movies are made or broken. Many a film has been saved and many a film has been ruined in the editing room.” – Joe Dante
- “In editing, it’s amazing how you choose the in and out points. What you cut on is everything for creating tension. It’s amazing how expanding a shot by five seconds can just ruin the tension.” – Sean Durkin
- “The notion of directing a film is the invention of critics – the whole eloquence of cinema is achieved in the editing room.”– Walter Murch
- “I definitely in filmmaking more and more find writing and directing a means to harvest material for editing. It’s all about editing.”– Alexander Payne
- “It’s good to get away from the editing suite. It’s very unhealthy to be sitting in front of the screen for too long.”–Christian Marclay
- “I don’t shoot movies quickly because I get a lot of coverage and a lot of angles, so we have all the pieces in the editing. I do a lot of takes, but it’s because I’m looking for something.”– Nancy Meyers
- “That’s the thing about making a movie: You never finish editing. They just take it away from you.”– Abel Ferrara
- “In the editing room, 20 percent of the time you’re using stuff from before the actor knew the camera was rolling or you’re taking a line from somewhere else and putting it in his mouth.”– Campbell Scott
- “The problems I have with a flawed script are always revealed in the editing room.” – Xavier Dolan
- “I edit as I write and shoot. Any extra line, any pause that I know will get chopped on the editing table is done away with then and there.” – Rajkumar Hirani
- “I always feel like the editing room is like coming into the kitchen. What kind of a meal do you make from there? It can be anything.”–Brit Marling
- “All you’re trying to do in an improvisation is get as much material as possible for the editing room.” – Martin Short
- “Editing is the only process. The shooting is pleasant work. The editing makes the movie, so I spend all my life in editing”– Garry Marshall
- “Reality TV finds talented people. There are no scripts. The editing is what it’s all about. Great editing makes those shows.” – Pete Waterman
- “Particularly in the final stages I always find that I’m rushed. It’s dangerous when you’re rushed in the editing stage, most of my early films are flawed in the cutting.”– Satyajit Ray
- “But I suppose film is distinctive because of its nature, of its being able to cut through time with editing.”– Oliver Stone
- “A lot of the issues of rhythm in film are found in the editing because it’s very rare that any sequence is the sequence that is shot.” – Frederick Wiseman
- “I love the editing process of making movies. I just wish that life had one.” – Mike Nichols
- “Whenever I think about movies, I always look at the art process as having the best of a lot of worlds. Because if you watch a great film, you have a musical element to it, not just on the scoring, but in the way that the shots are edited – that has music and rhythm and time.” – Fran Ocean
Film Editing Quotes
- “Film editing is now something almost everyone can do at a simple level and enjoy it, but to take it to a higher level requires the same dedication and persistence that any art form does.” – Walter Murch
- “I love editing. It’s one of my favorite parts about filmmaking.” – Steven Speilberg
- “I feel that working with the camera and editing it is actually my strong suit.” – Adam Yauch
- “I moved to New York City when I was 20 years old, started making movies non-stop. I didn’t have any friends, so I would just sit at home all night editing on my iMac.” – Casy Nesitat
- “My first three movies, I didn’t start editing until we were finished shooting. That’s unthinkable to me now.” – Steven Soderbergh
- “Movie first… Scene second… Moment third.” – Sam O’Steen
- “I have produced all my music videos. Love to get behind the camera and get involved in the editing process.” – Antoinette Costa
- “I’m a big fan of editing and keeping only the interesting buts in.” – Sarah Vowell
- “Editing is kind of a solitary job.” – Joe Dante
- “Editing makes or breaks a movie, you know.” – Jamie Uys
- “Editing the only process. The shooting is the pleasant work. The editing makes the movies, so I spend all my life in the editing.” – Garry Marshall
- “To me, editing is all about collaboration.” – David Fincher
- “I think of editing as problem solving.” – Walter Murch
- “Editing is like thinking, only with your eyes.” – Walter Murch
- “The essence of cinema is editing.” – Sergei Eisenstein
- “Editing is the one thing that makes filmmaking a collaborative art.” – Paul Hirsch
- “The best editing is often almost invisible, holding together shots and scenes that seem disparate and distinct. But when it’s done badly, you can’t take your eyes off of it.” – Tom Da Vinci
- “If story is king, then editing is queen, and she wears the pants in the monarchy of filmmaking.” – Darryl Frank
- “An editor is someone who assembles shots into a sequence that tells a story. A good editor makes sure that the story being told is the one that the director or writer intended to tell.” – Roger Barton
- “Editing is all about making choices and finding creative solutions to problems. It’s a process of continual discovery, and the best editors are always learning.” – Alaric Manley
- “Editing is often about finding the right balance between two competing impulses: the need to make things clear and the need to make things interesting.” – Mark Friedberg
- “Editing is really about shaping and molding a story to its most potent form. It’s about taking all the disparate elements of a film – the characters, dialogue, plot, visuals – and assembling them into a cohesive whole.” – Dylan Tichenor
- “Editing is an essential part of filmmaking, but it’s also one of the most misunderstood aspects of the craft. People think it’s just cutting film down to size, but there’s so much more to it than that.” – Sam O’Steen
- “Editing is the soul of cinema. It’s what makes a film a film, and not just a collection of images.” – Walter Murch
- “Editing is all about finding the heart of the story and then telling it in the most effective way possible.” – Virginia Katz
- “Editing is such an important part of filmmaking, but it’s often seen as this dry, technical process. I think of it more as sculpting – you’re taking all these disparate elements and shaping them into something beautiful.” – Andrew Stanton
- “Editing is one of the most challenging and rewarding aspects of filmmaking. It’s where you really get to play with time and space and shape the story in a completely unique way.” – Spielberg
- “Editing is the process of taking a raw piece of footage and turning it into a finished film. It’s an essential part of the filmmaking process, and it’s something that I love to do.” – George Lucas
- “Editing is all about making choices. You’re constantly deciding what to keep in and what to leave out, and each choice you make has an impact on the final product.” – Ang Lee
- “Editing is one of the most important aspects of filmmaking, but it’s also one of the most underrated. People often think of it as just cutting film down to size, but there’s so much more to it than that.” – Quentin Tarantino
- “Editing is a process of discovery. You’re constantly finding new things in the footage and figuring out new ways to tell the story.” – Martin Scorsese
- “Editing is like painting, only with film. You’re constantly making choices and trying to find the best way to tell the story.” – Ridley Scott
Inspirational Editing Quotes For Video Editors
Here are some inspirational Quotes for Video Editors to be fired up and do what they have to do.
- “Sometimes we just need to do what inspires us most.
- “Editing brings out the creativity of a video.”
- “For a creative person, the editing room is an Aladdin’s cave.”
- “It takes a lot of effort to reach the highest standards of video editing.”
- “It takes time to master video editing skills so have patience.”
- “Video editing is a form of magic coordinated by the cameraman and the editor.”
Funny Video Editing Quotes
- When I started editing on my home computer, I said to myself, ‘Well, I could be at home studying for a class or I could be at home editing a video.
- I’ve never been a big fan of the music-video style of editing movies that crept in the last few decades. I like stuff that’s able to take its time.
- If you’re into writing and making people laugh, or just want to video blog something, you should get a simple digital video camera. And all computers now come with an easy video editing software program. Just mess around with that for a little bit, try to figure it out, then just put stuff online and have fun. Never give up!
- I can’t drag myself away from ‘Final Cut Pro.’ It is a digital video editing system. I am obsessed with it, but I am always away from home, and I can’t use it.
- I think we filmed a lot of the recording and it would be nice to do something with it but you know, videos are tricky because we know how to make albums but I’m not very good at video editing.
Hope you love these video editing Quotes, check out these Famous Quotes by Famous Film Maker And Editors Like Steven Speilberg Quotes and Quentin Tarantino Quotes